The Livermore Area Recreation and Park District’s Senior Services Program is celebrating National Senior Center Month with all of the other senior centers in the Tri-Valley this year. Danville, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, and San Ramon centers have scheduled a program each week of the month to promote the theme of “Experts at Living Well: Discover, Play, Create, Challenge” at your senior center.
Special Programming begins the week of September 8th at the San Ramon Alcosta Senior Community Center, Tuesday, September 9th at the Pleasanton Senior Center, Tuesday, September 16th at the Robert Livermore Community Center, Wednesday September 17th at the Danville Senior Center and Friday September 26 the at the Dublin Senior Center. Seniors are encouraged to car pool or use public transit to visit all of the senior programs in the Tri-Valley.
LARPD September Programs for the 50+ Celebrating National Senior Center Month at the Robert Livermore Community Center are the following:
• The California Highway Patrol will be offering a free public presentation on “How to Recognize Elder Abuse” at the Robert Livermore Community Center on Tuesday, September 16, 10:30am-12 noon. Adults of all ages are welcome to attend. A free continental breakfast will be sponsored by the LARPD Foundation for those who are registered by Tuesday, September 9th for the even.
• Fri., Sept. 26, 2014 9:30 am-12 noon: Come for a free hearing screening and get your phone on the same day. The California Telephone Access Program (CTAP) is offering a free program with a local audiologist, Kenneth Billheimer, checking your hearing and matching you with the phone that best suits your needs. Appointments are required for the hearing test and space is limited. Call the Senior Services office at 373-5760 to schedule an appointment. CTAP is a program of the California Public Utilities Commission Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program.
• Mon., Sept. 29, 2014 6:30 pm, Cresta Blanca Ballroom: Free Concert for all ages by the United States Air Force Band of the Golden West Chamber Players Recital Series at the Robert Livermore Community Center. The band is the only active duty Air Force Band west of the Rock Mountains. All ages are welcome to enjoy this free concert. For reservations call 925-373-5700 or register online at larpd.org.
Also this September the following will be offered:
• Hypertension and You, 9:30-11:30 a.m., Wed. 9/10-10/1. Free. Alameda County Health Department is offering this free class to help you understand the causes of high blood pressure and manage it through diet, exercise and medications. You must take all four classes. Registration is required by calling 373-5700.
• Estate Planning: Trust vs Wills, $13, Jennifer Thaete, Estate Planning Attorney. 7-8:30 p.m., 9/10. Have you avoided thinking about this? Children and their parents should have a basic understanding of these options before there is a crisis in the family. Review your options in creating an estate plan including: Trusts, Wills, Financial and Health Care Powers of Attorney. Review what a Will is and how a Will works versus A Trust and how a Trust works. A general overview of Probate and Estate Taxes is also presented. Registration is required in advance. Please call 925-373-5700 to register.
• Safe Gardening: Ida Hurst, Physical Therapist Tues., Sept. 16 10:30-11:20 am. Palo Verde. Learn how to keep your body strong and safe while gardening and learn the proper way to bend and stoop. Registration is required by calling 925-373-5700.
LARPD offers a wide array of services and programs throughout the year for persons 50 and over ranging from; Chair Yoga to Zumba, information and referral to consults about aging and caregiving issues, special luncheons and socials, movies, educational talks, classes and selling senior BART tickets or offering day trips to international trips. More details can be found in the senior newsletter, The Prime Time or on the LARPD website at larpd.org. Newsletters are available at all of the City Libraries and at the Robert Livermore Community Center, 4444 East. Ave., Livermore.