Students at Dublin High School donated 80 backpacks to Pre-K children at the Kidango Emerald Vista Center on Monday. The donation has been spearheaded by Teens Unite for Education, an extracurricular club set up by sophomore Shaina Goel. Shaina created the club two years ago after reading about the number of low-income families in the area struggling to provide for their children’s education. The club raised $1,500 through a variety of methods, including holding fundraisers at local restaurants and donations from friends and family. They decided to donate the backpacks to Emerald Vista Center after Shaina heard about Kidango through her uncle. Kidango is a Bay Area nonprofit that runs 50+ preschool centers, with 95% of families receiving free or reduced-cost childcare. Pictured are some of the children showing off their new backpacks (Photo - Doug Jorgensen).
Get the latest local news delivered right to your inbox!
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Pleasanton Group to Hold Drive-Thru Signing
- Lauren Jauregui: Women are always being asked to prove themselves
- Duchess Catherine 'to become a figurehead of English rugby'
- Rihanna and ASAP Rocky are 'inseparable'
- Trucker convoy protests Canada-U.S.vaccine mandate, grabs international attention
- Amador Valley Defeats Foothill in Rivalry Game
- Ashley Benson and G-Eazy 'are back on'
- Nicole Kidman: I'm fascinated by big philosophical questions